I'm back just a week later, and on the exact 10th anniversary of my first episode!
This week I look at music in advertising. Every so often the music in a TV ad really strikes me as making the ad what it is, rather than just being simple backing. Here are six examples spanning nearly 30 years of TV.
- From the NZ Lotteries Commission's 2015 Lotto Powerball promotion, On the Sea by Beach House.
- From KiwiRail's 2013 promotion for its long distance train services, The Pearl Fishers' Duet performed by Sol3 Mio.
- From Air New Zealand, 2007, Po Karekare Ana with Dame Kiri Te Kanawa and choir.
- From Air New Zealand, 2016, Tomorrow (from the musical Annie) performed by Gin Wigmore (ad soundtrack).
- From The Interislander, 2006, Maybe Tomorrow by Goldenhorse.
- From Lanvin Perfumes, the 1987 ad for Arpege – do you know this tune? If so, please leave me a comment.
- From the TVNZ Good Night Kiwi station ID, 1981-1984, Hine e Hine, performed in the podcast by Hayley Westenra.
I've included all of the relevant videos from YouTube below for your viewing pleasure, along with a link to the official archive version of Good Night Kiwi at the bottom.